February 25, 2010

Crown of Thorns.

This post is really for me.  I almost forgot about this until I was laying in bed last night (unable to sleep because I was soooo cold--the furnace is out) and it hit me.  The kids absolutely love this.  You make a crown out of salt dough, insert tooth picks broken in half as thorns, bake at 200 degrees until hard and dried.

Explain to your children that all those thorns cause Jesus pain like our sins.  When we help each other, and are kind and generous, then we can remove a thorn.  Each time we remove a thorn, we are taking away some of the pain and showing Jesus how happy we are he sacrificed for us.  The idea is to have the thorns gone by Holy Saturday so that you can make Christ a proper King's crown.  We usually paint it, or glitter it, and glue on gems from Hobby Lobby.  At this point, remind your kids that He is our King!  It always amazes me how much the kids love this and work so hard to remove all those thorns.  And, frankly, we need a little Lenten vigor right now!

Salt Dough Recipe
Ingredients:

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 -1/2 cups hot water (tap water)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)

Instructions:

Combine the salt and flour in a mixing bowl
Gradually add the water until the dough becomes elastic
Add the vegetable oil, knead until combined.

Roll into "snakes" or "logs" as my kids call them, and braid.  Add toothpicks.  Bake at 200 degrees for about 40 minutes (could be more or less depending on the size and thickness of your crown).  Any leftover dough can be made into ornaments and baked as well.  I think one year the extras became hearts that we painted.

I think I originally got the idea from here.  Just trying to give credit where credit is due!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this ( I know lent is over...but I was skimming through your blog and found this). I am putting away ideas for next year ( I actually picked up some tees for golf to use as thorns ha!)

    ReplyDelete