June 22, 2010

Beach Week in Review!

We had a great week at the Outer Banks in North Carolina last week.  Now that we're home, it already seems so long ago!  We had perfect weather and lots of fun with cousins and even managed to escape sunburns.  For the first vacation I can ever remember, my dearest husband (who burns easily) actually wore his sunscreen faithfully.  Yay!  :)

We have a road-trip tradition of keeping track of weird things and funny comments.  Such as, the number of times Jacob asked for a pop-tart: 9 (including all the times after we had told them they were all gone).

The number of times someone said "This is the worst day (or car trip) ever":  5

The number of times Liz yelled for her backpack: 5

The number of police we saw: 7

The number of Ohio Bicentennial barns: 2

Quotes:

"Me!"  (Nick)

"I like sippy tops!! I've changed my mind!  ...No, don't write that." (Ken)

"Your hair smells like peaches." (Patrick to Jacob) "That must be a good smell!" (Jacob in reply)

"We're going to go a way we've never gone before which I'm not totally sure about." (Ken)

"My gameboy is dead." (Patrick, exactly 25 minutes into the car ride)

"Are we at the beach yet?"  (Elizabeth, one hour four minutes into the car ride)

We listened to The Magicians Nephew on the way to the beach and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on the way home.  I am amazed at how enthralled my kids were through both books. 



My favorite part of the whole trip was the night we rode bikes and got ice cream, just us.  When you are travelling with a crowd of 12 adults and 24 kids, the special times are sometimes those when you get a quiet moment with just your little family.  We had been souvenir shopping and came back to the beach house and no one was home yet.  So we jumped on the bikes and rode to a sound-side little row of shops that has an ice-cream shop.  We all got chocolate cones with sprinkles and watched the sun set and the only thing I'm bummed about is I didn't take the camera!  It was a lovely time though.



Besides of all the fun that comes of just being with cousins day in and day out, there is the beach fun that you can't get at home.  Like crabbing.  Mole crabs by day and ghost crabs by night (usually).  And then there is the rare time you dig one up by accident.  Nathan, always fearless, is holding a ghost crab above.  Nick really really liked the crabs too.  Luckily, he never got pinched.


And then, there was a ping-pong tournament.  With real trophies.  You can't beat that!  I seriously tried to give my favorite team the upper hand during their game play in the doubles category.  But, alas, they still lost.  But barely.  I'm just saying.  And he is Mr. Wonderful, if I do say so myself.


And even sweet Elizabeth had a blast.  She kept saying, "I so happy about going to the beach! I excited!" Fun fun fun all day long!  Best of all, she got to be with her favorite cousin, Gracie, 24/7.  And pretty much the only way we got her to go anywhere was to say Gracie was going to be there too.  Those two girls were so sweet together all week and I was really glad they had each other for company.


All in all, it was a good week.  Everybody was safe and had fun and there was no arguing.  It really is a blessing for my kids to be surrounded by such a fun and loving extended family.  Many memories for years and years to come!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great vacation. The quotes made me laugh.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, sorry to leave this in the com box, but I didn't see an address to which I could leave an e-mail. The Catholic Company will soon have 39 New Saints You Should Know from Servant Books. It's my first work. I'd be honored if you reviewed it.

    In Christ,

    Brian O'Neel
    author, 39 New Saints You Should Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Brian on your first book! That is so exciting. Thanks for the recommendation and I will definately check it out.

    Ah, yes, the email thing... I'll have to do something about that!

    ReplyDelete