September 5, 2010

Book Review--The Catholic Prayer Book


As much as I would say that you couldn't go wrong with a simple prayer book, I am not particularly fond of this one.  The Catholic Prayer Book (Large Print Edition) is compiled by Msgr. Michael Buckley and edited by Tony Castle and is a publication of Servant Books.  It is designed to be an all-encompassing reference of prayers including general every day prayers and some assorted prayers from saints.

I found this book to be very utilitarian.  The large print is too overwhelmingly large for me and the layout is such that many of the prayers overlap onto the back side of the page (sometimes just one or two lines).  And although the Contents lists prayers by category (and sometimes by specific prayer), I would have liked to had an index listing each individual prayer alphabetically. 

The Catholic Prayer Book serves its intended function as a reference book.  I think it would be a good reference for someone coming into the faith.  I just was not impressed with the overall layout.  If you are interested in checking it out for yourself or for someone interested in the Catholic faith, you can find The Catholic Prayer Book at The Catholic Company for $15.99.

And, if you're interested, The Catholic Company also offers quite a selection of Mary Statues!

No comments:

Post a Comment