December 16, 2010

Purple is for preparation.

In Catechesis of the Good Shephard, they talk about the liturgical colors with little reminders on the seasons--Green is for Growing, Purple is for Preparation, White is for Celebration....  and here we are in Purple and I'm not feeling very Prepared.  Are you?

I realized this week that in large part, I am feeling unable to focus because I feel like my house is so out of order.  It is hard to decorate when everything needs a complete wipe-down.  10 weeks of nausea have left me way behind and vastly underprepared for this season!  I want to be preparing my heart, not my home.  I'm missing the moments of years past when all we focused on were traditions--novenas and the advent wreath and Jesse tree.  This year, those things aren't as prominent as I'd like.  And it shows even with the kids, they aren't as into it as usual--and it is all because I'm not peaceful at heart.

I'm realizing that I need to let some of it go.  I'm allowing my focus to be distracted by things that I necessarily can't change much.  My house is out of order, yes.  Can I afford to go out and buy the shelving or the furniture to change that? No.  Will these things come in time? Yes.  Should I allow my frustration to take away the true focus here?  No.

That being said, I do think it is a very real thing as the woman of the household to desire to prepare her house for company.  Being open and welcoming to company is also to be open and welcoming to Christ.  To be able to show those around you that love of Christ firsthand.
So, we're taking this week to get caught up.  We made great progress on Saturday--we actually got almost the whole house clean.  Except for mopping the floors, which can be a whole day undertaking in and of itself.  I finally have an empty laundry room.  Except for what is in the dryer right now, the baskets are empty and everything is folded and put away.  I need to wrap up baking so that I can do a thorough clean-up of the kitchen.  I'm not looking for total perfection.  I just want to be ready.  And, we're focusing hard on our devotions this week and next.  Making the most of the time that is left.  I want to be ready to welcome family into my home for the Christmas season.  I want to be ready to welcome Christ.  Because He deserves a place of honor in my home and most especially, in my heart.

And, today, today, I will finally get the Nativity where I'd like it to end up.  Just in time.  I'm hoping to be thoroughly purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment