February 27, 2011

Welcome to the .....

Jungle? 

I've said before, we have a zoo going on over here.  It has become a full-fledged zoo.  To the litter of puppies, we have now added our flock of chicks!

And, I will admit, there was a moment today when I panicked.  When I thought, "What in the world have I gotten myself into?  A mere fifteen weeks before a new baby is due??" 

Nonetheless, I have gotten myself into it.  And, when these chicks emerge into egg-layers I will be happy that I did!

Now, details:  11 chicks (we ordered 10 but they seem to always hand out an extra)--5 buff orpingtons, 2 australorps, 2 araucanas, 2 barred plymouth rock.  Largely, I tried to choose good egg-layers but I also wanted a little "interest" in my flock.  I chose the araucanas because they are called the "easter egg" chicken--they lay green eggs. 

Ken built the brooder--we based it on one that sells at Tractor Supply for $140, but we only spent $30 (with spare parts).  He doesn't think it is beautiful, but I think it is fantastic.  Besides, we're using it to keep chicks in that are going to poop all over it! :)



And, for those of you keeping count, we now have:  11 chicks, 7 puppies, (5 kids +1 on the way), 3 turtles, 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 hamster and a hermit crab.  Oh dear, oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment