November 29, 2011

Advent Book Basket.




Jessica, over at Shower of Roses, is hosting a favorite Advent and Christmas book link-up.  Here are a few of my family's favorites (not in any particular order--just the random way they came to mind).

Baby's Christmas (Jellybean Books(R))

One of my little kids' favorite books is Baby's Christmas illustrated by Eloise Wilkin.  And who doesn't love Eloise Wilkin?  I thought of this one first because Elizabeth just asked for this one to be read this morning.  Our is a little Golden book from when my husband was a child, even more precious!  Though I have to say, ours doesn't look like this one, but I think it is the same one. 
The Lady of Guadalupe

Another favorite is Tomie dePaola's Book of Christmas Carols.  We use this book to sing carols every night after our Advent Wreath.  I like it because the littler kids have beautiful pictures to look at while we sing!  I'm thinking it must be out of print?  Bummer.  Of course we like all of dePaola's books but two other favorites are The Lady of Guadalupe and Mary, The Mother of Jesus.  (Which for some weird reason, weren't with my other books and haven't made it into the basket yet... I have to go hunt them down!).

The Nativity: Six Glorious Pop-Up Scenes
The Nativity is a really cool book.  Delicate, but cool.  My kids love looking at this one over and over.  I did also buy this one for gifts one year.

We've always sort of been library people and of the Christmas books we own--at least half have been Ken's as a child!  And, slowly, some of them are deteriorating and are out of print (like A Very Special Baby--a sweet book!).  This year I bought a couple of our favorites from the library (shhh!):
The Polar Express
The Polar Express.  Love the book, cried when I saw the movie--I hated it.  I think the movie didn't even come close to capturing the sweetness of the book.  After I got over my shock, I think the movie isn't all bad.  But still, no comparison to the book.

The Miracle of St. Nicholas (Golden Key Books)
The Miracle of Saint Nicholas.  A beautiful story of faith.  We've checked this one out often from the library--I think it is time it became part of our library!  This is another book that is MIA, The Legend of Saint Nicholas.  Hmmm, where are my books??  Don't you hate that?  When you can't find something that should have been with everything else?  Drives me crazy.
Santa's Favorite Story: Santa Tells the Story of the First Christmas
And lastly, we have Santa's Favorite Story.  It juxtaposes the fun of Santa with the real meaning of Christmas and gives proper respect to the birth of Christ.  Lovely!

I'm looking forward to checking out all the other ideas out there! 





5 comments:

  1. I just may have to put The Nativity on my wish list. It looks great!

    Thank you for sharing your list!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read Miracle of St. Nicholas for the first time last year- wonderful book! I have not seen that Nativity book. I'll have to look for it.
    I agree about The Polar Express!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen the Nativity one before. It looks lovely. thanks for sharing your list. Blessed Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I love finding books I haven't read before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE The Polar Express!! There is something so magical about it for both child and adult, isn't there? I've never seen the cover page to The Nativity book you have listed. Before I read what you wrote, I, too, found myself just looking at it for some time. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete