February 3, 2012

Crochet stuff.


Well, a long time ago (I don't remember when exactly, but I know it has been so long that you've forgotten but I haven't), I promised to post some crafty stuff I've been working on. And, well, here we are. Months later. Don't hold your breath around here! :) One of the new endeavors of mine has been learning to crochet. Now, I've always wanted to knit and some classes were being offered at our parish for knitting and crocheting. The knitting class happened in the morning when I would have my kids and the crochet class in the evening when I could leave said kids with Ken. So, I learned crochet!

I used to think that crochet was only for afghans!  But, I'm quickly learning there is a lot of versatility here (though I still think knitting would still be really useful to learn).

The first thing I made was a scarf!  I worked on it all the way to CA and back (which really isn't that much because I spent a lot of time helping little people in the car and when they didn't need me--it was dark!).
The full length version.
If I had to do it over again--I would make it more narrow.
1st Lesson learned: Don't be afraid to deviate from the pattern.
The second and third things I made were hats. 
I really, really wanted to make a hat for Peter.
Both times, by the time I finished them, they were too small.
Lesson #2: Plan ahead (and the patterns are often on the small side).

Isn't this adorable?
Of course, mostly what makes it cute is an adorable little girl.
Lesson 3: Have fun--it doesn't always have to be practical!
(Because sometimes I think that way!)

Lesson 4?  Keep on trying!  I'm on my fourth hat pattern (the third I quit halfway through after determining I didn't like it) and third scarf (the second turned out very cool but I gave it away without taking a picture).  I've made a few dishcloths and silly little things like that. 

The joy is in the making, I think. 

And my sanity is saved by having something to do with my hands while I go over spelling again and again and again....

2 comments:

  1. Such talent! The scarf is lovely! And the hats and hair "bow" are very cute as well. My 13-year-old daughter just took up crocheting... she is working on a scarf. Peace +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her! I'm sure she'll out-pace me in her ability to master it and finish projects. If I get a chance, I'll try and add links in for the patterns I can find. The crochet heart was really easy (and quick--5 min!) and she could do lots of fun little things with that. Take care!

    ReplyDelete