April 18, 2012

Being Intentional: Homemade Ice Cream

Last year for my birthday, I got an ice cream maker.  I really wanted one.  Though I envisioned the old-style with rock salt, I got a modern one with a core that you freeze.  I have mixed feelings about the ice cream maker itself because I don't think the core freezes as nicely as the rock salt style.  The reality is that I would probably never ever use the traditional kind (I would never remember to buy the rock salt! lol!).  As it is, this is only the second time I've used mine (granted, my birthday is in October--not exactly prime ice cream season).

I new Ken was going to be out of town for a couple of days.  So, I planned to make ice cream.  It turned out to be chilly outside today!  I'm trying to be more intentional in planning some fun things.  I'm trying to be more intentional in using my appliances again (hey, use them or lose them) like the bread maker and ice cream machine.  My kids love little things like making ice cream and I just need to think to buy the ingredients!
It really doesn't take much in the way of ingredients!
Heavy cream, half n half, vanilla, eggs, sugar and cocoa powder (if you are making chocolate ice cream).
I'd like to try some variations but for now, this is the version that was requested! 
Oh, of course, you need helpers.
Helpers who like ice cream. 
Mix all the ingredients together. 
Blend until smooth with a hand mixer.
At this point, I put mine in the freezer while I cleaned up.
It works best to keep it as cold as possible. 
In fact, it is okay to get distracted and cut up more strawberries for the baby to keep him happy.
Go ahead, cut up an apple for the 3 yr old, too.
I have decided this is why this ice cream maker works great for me.
I can be distracted. 
It is fun to watch, but cover it up to keep it cold! 
This isn't done yet. 
Almost.
This kind of ice cream maker makes more of a custard-type ice cream.
I think it is best to stick it in the freezer for a little while before eating it.
That is just the way I like it!


Basic Chocolate Ice Cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup half and half or milk
4 oz egg substitute (I used two eggs)
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well.  Chill for best results.  Put in an ice cream maker for 10-30 minutes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was good (though I only had a taste!). Just have to remember to make it more often!

      Delete
  2. What fun! You are a good mama! +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I'm experimenting with my ice cream maker too! I like your recipe for chocolate ice cream - I can't be bothered with the cooked recipes :)

    ReplyDelete