August 23, 2012

For the love of macaroni salad.

I've had some weird cravings this pregnancy.  Which is kind of odd for me.  Usually I might crave something but I taste it and I'm done.  No more.  This baby likes consistency.

Nutella.  Every day.

Macaroni salad.  At least once a week.

Chef Boy-ar-dee Mini Beef Ravioli.  Time of day varies but usually 10am.

Oatmeal with brown sugar and maple syrup. (The real maple syrup. I don't like the other stuff). Every day for breakfast.

But, let's go back to the macaroni salad.

I tried the store stuff.  Bleck.  Sometimes I can tolerate it but currently, it is too vinegary for my taste.

Can you believe I had never made macaroni salad?  I don't know, maybe I thought it was too hard?

And then.....

I stumbled upon Pioneer Woman's Macaroni Salad.  Oh, it is glorious.  And easy.  I can't believe how easy.

However, I tweaked it a bit.  So, I am reposting my slightly altered version here.  Mostly so that I can replicate it for myself.  I hope she is okay with that.  You know, that I changed it.  Maybe you shouldn't tell her!  I won't, if you don't.  Okay?
Updated with a photo: still warm!


4 cups macaroni (I used less more like 2-3 cups)
1/2 cups mayo
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
3 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup milk
splash of dill pickle juice to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste
(here's where I really differ):
1/2 to 1 cup frozen mirepoix blend (I just eyeball it--carrots/onions/celery)
1/4 cup (again, eyeballed) chopped sweet gherkins

Cook macaroni according to package, drain and cool.
Mix mayo, vinegar, sugar, milk, salt and pepper.  Splash in pickle juice.
Place cooled macaroni in a large bowl and pour on most of the dressing, toss and add mirepoix blend and gherkins.  Add the rest of the dressing if you'd like (I do).
Chill and serve.

Only I can never wait for the "chill" part so I eat some warm and then eat some more later when it is cold.  And then, I eat some in the middle of the night.  I eat it straight from the bowl because no one else but me eats it! Yum!  And, if you try it and you think my changes are gross, well... don't tell me.  The baby might hear.

And yes, go visit Pioneer Woman.  And tell her I said thank you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment