June 10, 2013

Book Review: Bible Adventures and Activities.


When I originally chose to review this book from The Catholic Company, I thought it would be a great addition to an Easter basket (yes, I've had it that long.  Really, way before Easter).  Of course, it came in the mail and we couldn't resist opening it up and reading through it!

Bible Adventures has about 35 stories from the Bible with a coordinating activity.  I think the concept of the book is wonderful.  The stories include many of the ones we all love: The Good Samaritan, Zacchaeus, Jonah and so on.  It has an answer key at the back of the book.  I would have loved if the pages were slick so you could use a dry-erase marker on them.  It seems a shame to have such a thick book be only one use!  (We have just completed some of the activities by sight--instead of circling something we just point it out).  The pictures are vivid and detailed and my kids love to "I Spy" on the pages.

The one downfall of this book is that the text of the Bible stories is more juvenile--it really appealed to my younger kids (ages 2-6) but some of the activities are too difficult for them to complete (like a crossword puzzle).  Because the text seemed a little on the young side, my older kids weren't very interested in the activities.  I think the authors really tried to appeal to a large age range and lots of abilities. 

Nonetheless, Bible Adventures and Activities is an adorable book and any book that the children love to read that helps them to understand the Bible is an asset to a home library.  You can find Bible Adventures and Activites at The Catholic Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment