February 12, 2014

A little bit of Sunshine.




So, first of all, I've never been nominated for anything.  I'm tickled pink that Sarah at With a Hopeful Heart nominated me for a Sunshine Award!  Now the challenge is for me to come up with ten things about myself.  The problem is, I'm really not that interesting, lol! Here goes:
Try not to fall asleep now.
One.
I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide.  (Fabulous during the teen years when you are trying to find SOMETHING to help with acne....yeah, just think about that for a second.)  And a lot of dyes and fragrances. They either make me blow up like a balloon, itch like a madwoman or give me a migraine. Or all of the above. So, don't be offended if you never see me use that beautiful candle you gave me.  I usually try them and know within minutes if it has to go in the garbage.  Sometimes, if I know they have a scent, I just don't burn them and look at them instead.  I do have "known" scents that are okay and I can use certain diffusers, etc.  Trial and error.


Two.
I converted to Catholicism in college. It was awesome entering into the church during the Easter vigil!  And nerve-racking.  Ken and I laugh when we think back to that night.  We were living in Columbus, OH at the time--his whole family came up for the event (awesome), stayed for the Mass, and then we all trooped to Cincinnati to help his parents deliver the Sunday newspapers (their job at the time) in the wee hours of the morn.  But, hey, we were young then and crazy was the name of our game.  I'll be honest, I have no recollection of that Easter Sunday.

Picture of a picture.
The only one I've got of the Vigil that you can see
anything but the flash illuminating people's heads.
That's my sponsor, Lyn next to me.
Three.
There is one person who I credit with inspiring me to make that leap to love Jesus.  That was my RA in college, Tricia.  She was on fire for Jesus and she was going to drag everyone with her.  She was the right blend of bubbly and persistent and drug me to my first Campus Crusade for Christ.  Which is where I learned that you can love Jesus and still rock--back then to great bands like Audio Adrenaline and DcTalk.  I wish I knew where she was today and what she was up to!  She went on a mission trip to Albania and brought back laminated stamps for souvenirs.  Stamps of Mother Theresa.  She wasn't Catholic (or wasn't then).  I still have mine and the date on it is 1994.  That seems so long ago.



Four.
I have no middle name. Which drives most other people batty--especially those who really, really want you to put something in that blank on a form.  Once, when I was in college, I considered giving myself a middle name.  This was about the time I entered the Church.  I happened to mention this to my mom, who blew up, and said, "You will NOT!  I did not give you a middle name and a middle name you will not have!"  Or something like that.  Now, I'm glad she put her foot down.


Five.
I insisted when I got married that 3 kids was my top number (hey, I was still growing in the faith....). And that I intended to be "done" by the time I was 32.  I think God laughed every time I said that. I laugh when I think I have more than doubled that number.  And I don't regret it one bit.

You can't see Peter in this image: he's hiding right below my head.
We were all watching videos on my phone.
Six.
I really wanted to name Jacob after a lighthouse in OBX.  Ken wouldn't let me.  Jacob really fits him better!  You can harass me about that later.
Name that lighthouse.
Seven.
We have tons of animals and critters around. I draw the line at arachnids and birds (in the house--in the coop are fine), my husband draws the line at snakes. Gotta have some kind of standards. One of our promises when we moved was that we would allow the kids to have more pets. Why'd we say that?!!  There are days when I secretly dream of getting rid of all the animals and moving back into a teeny house with a teeny yard.  
My kind of pet: one that sleeps allll day.
Eight.
I'm totally boring. Totally. Coming up with 10 things is strangely hard. But, I'm a bookworm at heart and I love crafting. I need to escape to a quiet space (even if in my own head) or I get grumpy.  I clearly remember being called a bookworm once in high school and being very offended.  Reading just came naturally and that hardly made me a bookworm in my opinion!!  I learned to read at 4, a trait that none of my children have mimicked as of yet.  (sigh)



Nine.
My favorite saint is Mary. To Jesus through Mary!



Ten.
I did that saint-for-the-year generator over at Conversion Diary and got St. Bernardine of Siena.  Who I thought at first was a girl.  Then after research, I find that HE is the patron saint of many things but one of those is of people with chest ailments.  At which point, I think, "HUH?"  And then I spend the first month of the year with sick kids.  Kids with coughs and fevers and ear infections.  And I laugh.  Because I have much to learn.  And I wonder if St. Bernardine and I are going to become very, very good friends this year.  (Speaking of good friends, St. Bernardine, I wouldn't mind a trip to Italy, you know....)


St. Bernardine of Siena

Whew!  If you made it this far, good for you!  Now as a reward for completing this task, I get to nominate some of my favorite bloggers who I find full of sunshine!!

I nominate Roxie at Blooms of Joy (don't wack me over the head, Roxie!!) and Briana at I Can't Decide.  Go visit them at their blogs and soak up some of their sunshine and beautiful children!  And thanks again Sarah!

Here are the rules for the Sunshine Award:

1. Use the award logo in your post.
2. Link to whoever nominated you.
3. Tell us 10 pieces of information about yourself.
4. Nominate fellow bloggers who "positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere".
5. Leave a comment on the nominees' blogs to tell them of the award.

No comments:

Post a Comment