February 10, 2014

Never worry.

Never worry.  Sometimes that's easier said than done, right?  I mean especially in February if you are a homeschooler!

I would love to be one if those people who didn't worry about numbers-- of the algebra or the masses sort.  I think one worries when you are schooling one child.  One really worries when you are schooling multiple children with an infant on the lap and a toddler destroying the kitchen.  Some homeschoolers can say " don't worry be happy" in the area of schooling.  Lots of people thrive on unschooling and I wish I was one of those people!  I worry that I'm not doing enough, that they aren't learning enough, we aren't enjoying each other enough.

I had the opportunity to attend a morning out for homeschooling moms on Saturday.  It was lovely.  The resounding theme was to appreciate the gifts God has given you and to not fret about what the outcome will be.  We live in a world where our success is measured by accomplishments.  And even worse, there is something of the notion that as homeschoolers our kids should all go to college with full-ride scholarships or we've certainly failed.  That is a huge burden to carry.

It is so easy to think in terms of accomplishments: my kid is a grade ahead in math, my kid was named MVP in such and such a sport, my kid.... and it could go on.  None of those things are bad things.  They are good, they can be good.  We must be careful if the glory is not on God but on our child or on ourselves.  Ouch.  What if it is all about us?  What if none of our children have ANY accomplishments that we can think of.  What does that say?  Are we failing?  There the worry starts.  And the faith ends.

Truly, our burden is light.  First of all, God gave us the grace to educate our children when we got married.  Go figure, He had a plan!  Second, our primary objective is to help our children realize their potential as children of God.  Whether they turn out to be plumbers or architects.  Whether they never stray from their faith or they step away for a bit.  Third, let us hand our worry over.  How many times have we heard from Matthew chapter 6, "Do not worry about your life...can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  ... Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you...."  

That is my goal for February.  The most worrisome month.  The month when life can seem the most daunting.  When the house never gets clean, the snow never goes away, the sun barely shines, and those school books are the most dreaded.  What will happen if we just take the person nearest us and helps them?  Loves them?  Teach them? Feed them soul food?  I'm willing to find out.  I'm willing to help the person nearest me and put my trust in The Lord (and not my curriculum)!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Hope! February is the "self-doubting" month! Thanks for the reminder for having the right focus. I love Mother Theresa's quote, “God does not require that we be successful only that we be faithful.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the woman EVER say something not awesome? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete