May 1, 2014

Lenten update (40 Bags)

So I thought I would post a little update on our Lenten "plans" and how well they worked for us.  Mainly for myself!

40 bags in 40 days:  I managed to get 28 bags out of my house, not including a bike, a basketball hoop (full size, like new), and a garbage can full of stuff from the garage (courtesy of my husband).  Not too bad.  Out of my 40 "areas" to be cleaned, I only did 14.  But, I think I'm going to keep the list to refer to in moments of inspiration!

Working through the Baltimore Catechism:  We did fairly well at this.  I just scheduled this at afternoon snack time.  The biggest difficulty was that as the weather improved, my ability to keep them tied down to snack at any length decreased.  I think we are just going to continue to work through them.

Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure books.  I'm not sure I would buy these again.  On one hand, it is handy to have all the material available and not reliant on my printing something.  On the other, most of what is in the books can be found online.  And they were a little pricey.  I only bought one set so I was doing a fair amount of copying anyway.

Consoling the Heart of Jesus.   Still not done with it.  But again, I'm going to keep plodding along.  My goal was to be done with the book by Divine Mercy.  It didn't happen.  But other things did.  I was very convicted to pray the Divine Mercy Novena this year and the Divine Mercy chaplet.  And I succeeded.  So, fruitfulness there.

Giving up social media:  That went pretty well.  And I found I didn't really miss it.  I did check in on Sundays still and I looked forward to "catching up" but I was glad that I didn't feel a loss at not having it in my life.  Facebook and Instagram are things I enjoy, but certainly not an addiction or something I can't live without.
The kids all gave up assorted things: Coke, skittles, candy in general.  The big boys all gave up additional items like ipods, Wii, Xbox.  They all did pretty well.  The younger set decided that instead of a crown of thorns this year, they wanted to do the bean jar (which they saw in a Holy Heroes video).  The promise of jelly beans filling the jar was very motivating.  You can see ours on Easter morn above (I don't have a photo of the jar-in-progress even thought I did).

How did your Lenten plans go?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment