December 21, 2014

Saintly celebrations.

There are so many feast days in December, it is crazy, isn't it?   They are all so much fun and I love that they are so...multicultural.    The diversity of the church is just awesome.  (Insert me breaking out into Toby Mac's Diverse City here.  Be prepared for a little funk).

Digression, it's my gift.

I feel like I am pretty much crazy all the time these days and feast days have become very very simple.  If for nothing else than to remind myself for next year, here are the little tidbits of our celebrations.

The Immaculate Conception
I jumped in and purchased the Saint Ornaments Download at Catholic Icing.  I'm surprised that Elizabeth hasn't done them all but the Saint Anne one is particularly cute.  These aren't difficult (I mean ...print and color...) but they might need some help with the assembly.

We went with the all-white theme for dinner and dessert.  I mentioned the Snickers pie here.   And we had Chicken Alfredo using the Pioneer Woman's Alfredo Sauce.  So so yummy.  And simple all of it.  And we went to Mass.  Of course.


St. Nicholas

Our day was an unusually busy one.  We had stockings, of course.  Fun fun fun.  Then Elizabeth and I loaded up pans of cookies for a service project.  We spent our morning at a fellow AHG'ers house making cards and assembling trays of cookies for veterans as a service project.  

Later in the day, was the annual Christmas Parade.  Our kids look forward to this every year.


Our Lady of Guadalupe/Juan Diego
Mentally, I always lump poor old Juan Diego in with Our Lady of Guadaloupe.    Which this year, OLG fell on Friday which also happened to be our co-op's Caroling/Advent Party/Last Day of the Year.  Yeah, it needs a better title.  :)  We always go caroling at a local nursing home and it really is so nice to see the joy the kids bring to the faces of the residents.  A lot of them are so lonely.

I don't have pictures of this one.   But we did have a potluck that was Mexican.  And then the girls who have been taking Irish Dance at co-op put on a mini-recital.  It was wonderful to see them all in action together!
Elizabeth is in the red.  Very first dancer.

St. Lucy.
Our  tradition for St. Lucia day is that Elizabeth would dress up in all white and serve the boys cinnamon rolls with candles in them.  They all insisted this year that we have never ever ever done this before.  Yes, we have.  Even if I haven't blogged it every year, we have so so so done it.  So there.  Which is why I must forever more document every. single. thing. we. do.  I must prove my rightness.  All this discussion on what we have and have not done made Liz a little shy and she refused to dress up.  No matter.  She still made the breakfast and served it the boys happily.  And they happily ate it.
We went out later for the traditional drive around and look at lights event.  Spending probably half an hour at our favorite house with the music and crazy lights.  The boys of the family dreaming about the day when that will be us...
All in all, fun traditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment