February 12, 2015

Cheesy Chilada Bake

The other day I had mentally planned on making Cheesy Chilada Bake for the family but then I couldn't remember where the recipe was! (Please tell me you've done that!)  I've made this recipe several times and it is a hit with the kids.  Basically, any meal that you serve chips with is a winner.  So posting here for my adled brain to be able to remember the next time.


The recipe comes from Fix, Freeze, Feast which is a great book for those of us cooking for a crowd.  Freezer friendly meals! Gotta love that.  This book's only downfall is that there are no pictures.  I love pictures of recipes!  I'm much more likely to try a recipe if I can see what it looks like first.

Since she gives quantities to make four meals at once, I am giving you my single-serving estimated version.  So go gather your ingredients!

The ingredients.  Except for the tomato sauce, garlic, cumin and salt.
Because I forgot.  I'm awesome like that.

Cheesy Chilada Bake
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 and 1/2 cup picante sauce
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
5 tortillas
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend


1. Brown beef, peppers, onion, and garlic in large pot over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.  Drain and discard fat.  Stir in picante, tomato sauce, cumin, salt.

2. Spread half mixture over bottom of baking dish.  Tear half of the tortillas and cover mixture, edges overlapping.  Spread 1.5 cups cheese over tortillas.  Repeat each layer, finishing with cheese topping.

3. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, covered with foil, until bubbly and hot.  My kids like to scoop this up with tortilla chips.  My husband enjoys it as is, and I like some sour cream on top!  Enjoy!

Some notes:

  • I take the easy route and keep frozen peppers, onions, minced garlic on hand.  Even though I  often have these things.  Makes life simple when trying to prepare dinner in a jiffy.
  • My amounts are approximate and differ slightly from the book.  I altered them to work for my family.  They like a little more cheese, so I added a little more.  She includes pinto beans in her dish, that would totally ruin it for my guys so I left them out.
  • If you want the recipe to make 4 meals at once--buy the book! :)  I will say that when I made the big batch, I used more cheese (obviously) and more meat.  I kept everything else pretty much the same.
  • No one paid me to post this recipe.  Just in case you were wondering.  I wish.  If you know anyone who wants me to write posts about recipes with poorly-lighted photos, give them my number.  Ha!




No comments:

Post a Comment