February 18, 2015

Snickers pie.

Way back here, I mentioned Snickers Pie.

Snickers pie is not my specialty.  It is my mother's.  My mother makes it for holidays and my brother's birthday every year.  Just like her potato salad, no one else's compares.  Years ago, after my grandmother died (my dad's mother) the family got together and make a cookbook full of favorite recipes and things my grandmother said.  It is a treasure to have!  One of the recipes my mother submitted to the cookbook was her Snickers Pie recipe.

Only it is wrong.


When I went to make it, I read the recipe and it included cream cheese.  I was pretty sure that there was no cream cheese in the recipe so a flurry of emails between my mother and me ensued and now I have the correct recipe.

I should probably write it down.

And then convince  my mother to come show me how to make her potato salad.  Because she is one of those people.  You know the ones, they add ingredients by taste and they have no measurements.  However, when it is the first time making something, "add a little...." somehow doesn't cut it.

Sorry, digression.  It's my one weakness.  Let's carry on.  Here's the recipe.

Snickers Pie.
1 pre-baked pie shell, do this however you would like! :)
2 c milk
1 (3oz--its the bigger size) vanilla instant pudding
1 (3oz) chocolate instant pudding
1 (8oz) tub of cool whip, thawed
2 large Snickers bars, chopped

(My mother claims she never adds vanilla or cream cheese to hers.  Maybe it would be good?  We know it how she makes it and that's how we like it!)

As you can see from the directions above, what I'm going to tell you is pretty much the same.  But, I'll do it anyway.

Make vanilla pudding according to pkg directions with 1 cup of milk.  Repeat with chocolate.    Fold in one half of the tub of cool whip and one snickers bar into vanilla pudding and spread into pie shell.  Repeat with chocolate.  Garnish with whipped topping and extra snickers pieces.  Chill until ready to serve (or at least one hour).


No comments:

Post a Comment