April 14, 2015

Blueberry Coffee Cake

This recipe is one that comes from a book my mom bought me at a used book sale called the Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking.  There are quite a few recipes in here that I refer to all of the time, the Blueberry Coffee Cake being one of them.  As the binding is ruined on my book, I thought I better record it here before I lose it.  (Though when I went to link to this book on Amazon--they have them used for $5 with shipping!  I bought one, why not?!  I seriously love this book.)  We had Blueberry Coffee Cake for breakfast for Divine Mercy Sunday.  My intent had been to serve with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.  Good intentions don't always pan out.  ;)



Blueberry Coffee Cake

Coffee Cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I halve this)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp grated lemon or orange peel
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
3-5 tsp milk

Preheat oven to 350*.  Grease 13 x 9 inch pan.  In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon peel.  Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  (I do this in my kitchenaid--dry ingredients go in bowl and use the wisk attachment to cut in the butter.)  Add 1 cup milk, eggs, and vanilla; stir until well blended.  Pour 3/4 batter into greased pan.  Top with blueberries.  Spoon remaining batter over blueberries.

Bake at 350 for 35-45 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 30 minutes (we never have the patience to do this!)

In small bowl, blend icing ingredients and drizzle over warm cake.

In my photo above, half the cake is blueberry and half is chocolate chip (kids request).  You can also substitute 2 cups sliced peaches or  3 cups pitted, halved bing cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment