April 9, 2015

Reading Binge.

Since January or late December, I've been on a reading binge.  Now, I do try to limit myself as I read really fast.  And when I read, I'm totally and entirely "sucked in" ...well, if the book is good. By "sucked in" I mean:  The food is burning and I don't notice, someone is trying to tell me something and I am oblivious, and I have no idea what time it is.  So, I really try to limit myself because reading can really be a compulsion for me.

That being said, here's what I've been reading.  You'll notice a theme or two.   One of which is that I am about ten years behind on reading the popular books.  Better late than never, right?!

Left to Tell recounts Immaculee's experience during the Rwandan genocide.  Graphic and disturbing, it is worth the read.  I personally don't think I fully understood what was happening in Rwanda.  Mostly, it is a story of God's ability to carry us through the worst of time and still be able to love.


This one was written after Left to Tell.  I think I would recommend reading in that order.  Shorter, this one gives accounts of the visions of Our Lady of Kibeho and Immaculee's experience ten years before Left to Tell.

I don't know where I heard about this book but it is absolutely amazing.  It is the story of the underdog crew team that went on to compete in the Olympics under Hitler's gaze.  It is mostly about the boys' life experiences with tidbits of world events thrown in.  Also, mostly clean as I think the boys had a good moral compass.  Interesting even if you don't know anything about racing crews or shells or boats at all.  This book, set me off on a Nazi-era reading spree.

We all know about the Holocaust.  Most of us have probably heard of Corrie Ten Boom.  A great 
read, horrific, but God's providence shines through the horror.  I'd like to read her other books.  (Totally unrelated but Blogger will not let me make this little blip left indented and it is making me crazy.  That is all.  It isn't my fault it is centered!!  :P)

I'm still not through this one.  I have really wanted to watch the movie for a long time but couldn't convince anyone to watch it with me.  So, I thought I would read the book.  Only I don't like the book and I've heard it from others that the book isn't nearly as good as the movie.  I find the narrator's interruptions to be choppy, the constant use of German cuss words annoying and so far, pretty much just dismal.  Either I need to stick to autobiographies that or more historical or I just need to keep reading.  I'll update when I finish.

Update:  I finished.  I'm still not sure how I feel about this book.  It is flat out depressing.  Granted, there are elements of goodness but the characters didn't resonate with me.  And the whole "death is a person who doesn't talk to God" also didn't sit will with me.  I'm a big fan of reading the book before the movie, so for that purpose I would recommend it.  And if you do, let me know what you think!

Now, you know I just had to throw one in there for the kids.  Snow Treasure is a fictional novel based on a true story whose main character is Peter, a 13 year old Norwegian boy.  Peter, along with his friends, become involved in a plot to keep the country's gold reserves from falling into Nazi hands.  I thought we would all read this together, it turns out my most interested kids are Elizabeth (7) and Nicholas (6).  We haven't finished this one yet (and actually, wish I'd started it when it was really cold outside because it seems not right to read about sledding when it is finally spring!) but so far we have really enjoyed it.

As part of this reading binge, I have also purchased a stack of books for the boys.  Perhaps, they would like to review their reading selections?  Hmmmm, boys?  (Don't hold your breath, blog readers, they probably won't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment