October 3, 2015

31 Days: Birthdays.



Dear Child,

I am 40 today.  I know that you are going to show me lots of love today!

What do I want you to know today?

40 is not so bad.  I no longer care what people think like I did when I was in my teens and twenties.

I still wish I looked like I was in my teens or twenties!!  Except the stretch marks.  Because you gave me those.

At 40, life is good.  It is very very good.  A wonderful husband, wonderful children (seven on earth so far and one in Heaven, I am so very blessed).  I feel settled.  Unlike when I was younger when we felt very much like every home was temporary, I no longer feel temporary.  A wonderful feeling.

Sure, sure, at 40, I can't eat what I want and I think about money more and fun less.  That's all stuff of the world.

What do I want you to know today?

To embrace every year.  Enjoy it where you are.  Don't wish to be a different age. Love those who love you.  And remember that birthdays aren't about presents, they're about people.   Eat lots of cake and make a wish when you blow out your candles!

XOXO,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment